Sunday, December 16, 2012

Cold Weather Running

I saw a quote on FB that I think is so appropriate for any new athlete that trains or competes outdoors.                  "There is no bad weather, just bad gear."

So true when it comes to cold weather running in Minnesota. I learned quickly I needed new clothes. Up until Monday, December 10th the coldest weather I had run in was 21 degrees F. My running class is on Monday nights and as the temps started to fall on Sunday, I knew I was in for a really cold run on Monday. I go to class straight from work, so I packed my back with: silk knee high socks, cotton sock (I'm allergic to the lanolin in wool), running tights, cotton pants, wicking long sleeve, mid-layer long sleeve, light down feather jacket, neck warmer, hat, light gloves, big red fleece mittens. I was ready. I had my class as my motivator to get out and run in...  -4 degree F Temperature.

Then... my class wimped out on me! I guess an email went out, to an account I don't check at work, earlier in the day that said we would be doing inside core work for the class. To give some credit to the instructor and the others in the class: It is a beginner class, it was really cold, the ground was snow packed from 10" of snow that had fallen the day before, and there was an indoor running track alternative at a school in town later that night. But there were some other unforeseen circumstances that caused the class to be delayed, moved, and then finally cancelled.  Finally, the instructor did say she would stick around and run for about 20 minutes with anyone who wanted too. 

There were three of us!  I was all psyched and ready to go. Below is a picture of Sarah, my instructor, and I before going out.


One other lady came with us too. I think she had headed outside already so I missed her in the picture. She pulled a calf muscle a couple weeks earlier that she was still nursing, so she ran a couple laps with Sarah and I and then bowed out to stretch.  

We took a pretty easy pace because it was slick out. I was dressed so warm I was still sweating by the end and during the run we could feel our eye lashes getting crust with frost and ice, but I had no idea how frosty we were getting until we looked at each other at the end...
 After a couple tries I finally got this second picture to flash and really show the frost.  My hair is not typically white!
I already forgot how long we ran, but it was about 20 minutes, so I think it was around 2 miles or slightly over.

You can stay warm!  But get inside quick after you are done. I still sweat quite a bit, so I drove home and changed into dry clothes before I got chilled. I would like to have a cool head sock like Sarah's. It is wicking so she can wear her hat over it and her head doesn't feel the moisture like mine does by the time I'm done. Plus the front can pull up and cover her full face if needed only letting the eyes show.

Happy running!  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment