Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's Official - Buffalo Triathlon

As I said in my last post, I'm I little behind in my blog.  A lot has happened in the last couple weeks and I need to keep up here...

When I first started thinking about doing a triathlon, I started researching what distance I should sign-up for.  Like running you can pretty much find a race of any length or distance you want. Since most of my friends are runners I'll make the comparison here...
5K, 7K, 8K, 10K - First time, smaller stepping goals, fitness running, maintenance and fun runs.
1/2 Marathon - Good step if you don't want to commit to the training of full Marathon.
Marathon - The goal for most serious runners that can commit the time to the training. 
Ultra Marathon's - For the (insane) runners that want to do more.

Now for the Triathlete:
Anything shorter than a Sprint - Like running (see 5K, etc.)
Sprint Triathlon - 1/4 mile swim, 12.4 mile bike, 3 mile run (5K); Like a 1/2 Marathon
Olympic Triathlon - 1.5K (.9 mile) swim, 40K (42.8 mile) bike and 10K (6.2 mile) run; like a full Marathon
1/2 Iron man - 1.2-mile (1.9 km) swim, a 56-mile (90 km) bike ride, and a 13.1-mile (21.1 km) run
Iron Man - 2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim, a 112-mile (180.25 km) bike, and a marathon 26.2-mile (42.2 km) run
(Again in my simple mind... Anything over the Olympic Triathon is insane)

So the big debate...  Spint or Olympic, Sprint or Olympic, Sprint or Olympic?!?!?

What the hay?  Olympic!!!

Thanksgiving weekend I made it official and signed up for the Buffalo Triathlon!!!

So, I based this decision on I can swim, I can already run a 5K, and anyone can bike, right?  Plus, when I compare it to the runner's Marathon, that is a huge accomplishment and that's a goal that will be a little bit of a stretch!

On goes the journey and the stretch towards my new goal!
Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome you are going for a stretch goal! We both commented on Stu's blog and his last post mentioned you are working on your first Tri & pointed me in your direction. I just started reading blogs & find I really enjoy it, so read through yours. I was a runner / jogger for 27 years and then quit (body tired, bored, sore knees) and didn't think I'd run again. 4 years later I watched a Triathlon shortly after buying a road bike & knew I wanted to do one, so was back hitting the pavement in addition to jumping in the pool and learning the rules of the road for bikers. I finished my first Tri a year ago Sept & did 2 more this past summer. All have been sprint with one being an offroad / Xterra in Montana. Next season goal: 4 Tri's - 3 sprints & 1 olympic. I would be more than happy to share my learnings about running in winter and my journey in Triathlons. Feel free to contact me via email - carmenlachappelle@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Carmen! Sorry, it has been a long time since I've been on my blog. Not very good at this yet. Thanks for looking me up and reading from Stu's blog! I'm really excited about doing a Triathlon. I will definitely email you because I'm going to need to learn a lot before it gets here in the spring! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete