Sunday, April 7, 2013

Heavy Muscles.

Tired runner

Sometimes all you need to do is stop?!?  

So since I started to officially train, things have been going pretty good.  Swimming has gone much better than anticipated and running has been steady. Then I started biking...  Wow. I sure hope it doesn't take my legs to long to work off the winter biking blues. 

So, before this week I was most worried about the sports in this order: swimming, running, biking. Now that has completely reversed to: biking, running, swimming.

Yesterday I ran into an old friend and found out he was training for an Olympic triathlon in July.  He is already biking 30 miles for his long work outs. WHAT!?! I couldn't even admit to him my long bike ride has  only been 10 miles and I'm doing the triathlon in June!

Then, today I had a long run - 7 miles. This was to be the longest run I've ever done. It was the worst run I have ever done (or at least as long as I can remember). I would tell you, that this is why I never liked running, but that wouldn't be entirely true.  I never liked running before because I would run too fast and always feel like I was going to puke at the end. Today it wasn't about feeling like I was going to lose breakfast, I just couldn't move.  I kept thinking, "My muscles just need to warm up,"  "Pretty soon they will loosen up and I'll feel better," "Maybe I need to lengthen my stride. Is my stride messed up?" or "It was because I was going up-hill for so long, this is a new route and I'm just not used to it."

It never got better. By mile 4, I thought with every step I was going to fall into the Earth because every part of my body felt heavy.  By mile 4.5, I had to stop. Now unfortunately, I was on a long new route that was a loop. I didn't have my phone on me, so I had to make it home. For the rest of the 2.5 miles I had left, I did a combination of walk, run, stop and stretch, repeat.

Am, I going to let one bad run stop me. NO. But I would like to know what happened.  Am I tired? Not enough energy because I didn't eat enough before going out? Too much working out too fast? 

On a positive note.  I finished my run today, it wasn't pretty or the way I thought it would go, but I finished.  That should be a good reminder of my goal for this Triathlon. I just want to finish.  It may not go as well as I dream it will, but my goal is to finish and if I keep up with my training, I should be able to accomplish that.    

Sometimes you do just have to stop.

6 comments:

  1. Joy, congrats for finishing the bike run you started. From what I've learned from you - you will keep going and make your goal. I'm excited to follow your journey. Keep up the great work! You can do it! - Jill

    PS When is the official Tri date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jill! Sunday, June 2nd. Buffalo Lake, MN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you are back blogging & working on training. Enjoy reading about your journey. You & Stu inspired me to blog, as well. As soon as I have a few more posts, I'll send you the link, in case you want to read about my Tri journey. If there is a way to be notified of your posts via email, etc., let me know. I subscribed to Stu's so it comes automatically, but can't find a similar link on yours. I'm still a blog-reading newbie! And just keep up your training - put on your shoes, suit or helmet and get in the workout. You will train enough to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carmen! Um, well, I'm as new as you are to blogging, so I'll look through my settings and see if I've accidentally kept people from being able to subscribe. I would love to get your link! It keeps me inspired too to know how others do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmen, as I was posting my last comment, I saw the "Subscribe by email" at the bottom of this post. Do you see that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joy - I see you finished the Buffalo Tri! How did you feel? Would you do another one? If yes, what did you learn / what would you do differently? ~ Carmen

    ReplyDelete